WK1 PLASTER PROJECT. 8/28/16

For this project, I decided to go to Newport Beach with my friends to do this.  Mainly, for the croissants they had to offer at Seaside bakery.  I went around 8 PM on a Saturday night and the beach was just filled with people playing Pokemon Go and the parking lot was a haphazard mess. Luckily, I was able to find a parking spot within the first few minutes being there, and I avoided circling the lot for hours like others.  My friends and I decided to grab drinks and croissants before we started the project.  Afterwards, we all tried to find a spot close to shore that wouldn’t get swept by the waves but also not too far where the sand is too dry.  I chose to do a mold of my hand, so as a result, we dug a little hole about 3x the size of a baseball, just so my hand could fit snugly. After this, I had my friends fill up the bucket with water and wet sand from the ocean.  As they did this, I tried to think of a way that I could easily pull out my hand with ease without messing up the mold.  I decided that I would have my hand at an angled position, roughly 45 degrees on the sand, therefore I could just slip my hand out without changing the mold.  My friends then filled the hole up with wet sand with my hand in its acute position and we waited a bit for the sand to harden.  After the sand hardened, and my mold was complete, I was able to successfully pull out my hand from the mold without damaging it.  Next step was to create the plaster, which I used 2 parts plaster and 1 part water from the ocean.  After I put the plaster in, me and my friends decided to kill time by making sand castles with the bucket or went back to Seaside for another croissant.  At the beginning of the project, I doubted myself and did not think I could make a mold that would look like mine.  In honesty, I thought my mold would look like a potato.  But after the 30 minutes, we came back to find out that mold was very similar to my actual hand.  I was pretty happy with how my project turned out, and was very surprised on how much detail remained as well.  I was able to find the exact shape of my thumb, and even the fingernails were still imprinted.  Overall, I think this project was a good way for me to get interactive with an art form.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s